(Melissa F. , Ryan O. , Shanastasia S.)
Hortatory exposition is a type of spoken or written text that is intended to persuade the listeners or readers that something should or should not happen or be done.
Hortatory is similar to analytical exposition but if we have to differentiate both from one to each other, we have one useful tool by making analysis on the generic structure. What makes hortatory different from analytical exposition is the last finalizing step which analytical exposition is ended by a reiteration while hortatory exposition is finalized by certain a recommendation.
Social function of the hortatory exposition is to persuade the readers or listeners that something should or should not be the case.
Language Features of Hortatory Exposition:
1. Focusing on the writer.
2. Using action verb.
3. Using modal adverb; certainly, surely, etc.
4. Using temporal connective ; firstly, secondly, however, therefore, etc.
5. Using evaluative word ; important, valuable, trustworthy, etc.
6. Using passive voice.
7. Using simple present tense.
8. The use of modals and adverbs ; may, must should, etc.
9. The use of emotive words ; worried, alarmed, etc.
10. The use of words that qualify statements ; usual, probably, etc.
11. The use of subjective opinions using pronouns I and we.
1) Thesis: Statements or announcement of issue concern.
2) Argument: Reasons for concern that will lead to recommendation.
3) Recommendation: Statement of what should or should not happen or be done based on the given arguments.
Example of Hortatory Exposition Text:
Mobile Phones Should Not be Banned in School (Title)
Mobile phones is not used just for calling, but sending text, taking pictures, accessing internet, and mush more. Many students bring their phones to school. For them, mobile phones has many uses. So, mobile phones should not be banned in school. Why do I said that? (Thesis)
Firstly, students call their parents for another needs. By mobile phones, student can call their close relative of they need something to be brought to school. In addition, mobile phones can be used to call their children when one of their family were hit by disaster suddenly. An then, student can called their parent to pick her up when want to go home. (Argument)
Secondly, increased of knowledge among students. When trying to find answer of difficult task at school, mobile phone can be used as a connecting to search the answer through GPRS or Wi-Fi networks. (Argument)
Finally, expand the network of friendship among students. School is the right place to find friends. Average, student been at school about 7 hours or more. So that, a lot of students found their friend in the school environment. Therefore, communication between friends should be kept on of which using a mobile phone. (Argument)
So, I think mobile phone should not be banned in school. But, use your phone in the time and right place so that no one was disturbed. (Resommendation)