Subscribe:

Wednesday 28 November 2012

Giving Advice


1.                       Giving Advice
(Alvendra, Asti & Kun)

Definition:
People give advice when they think that there’s something better that what will be done or have been done.

Examples:
·         I don’t think you should work so hard
·         You ought to work less.
·         You ought not to work so hard.
·         If I were you, I’d work less.
·         If I were in your shoes, I’d work less.


Ø  To do something
o   I think you’d better …
o   Take my advice and …
o   I advice you to …
o   How about … ?
o   It would probably be a good idea …
Ø  Not to do something
o   I don’t think you should …
o   I would not … , if I were you.
o   You’d better not …

Using Imperatives To Give Advice (Verb + ing)
Examples:     
§  Start going to the gym.
§  Stop drinking so much coke.
§  Consider switching to brown bread and rice.
§  Try cycling to work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment